Sunday, December 18, 2005

on Names

Last night at Dinner Club we had a really interesting conversation on names. Mainly we were thinking of creative names that are funny with a person's last name. For example, one girl (my Houston friend Sarah) mentioned that her maiden name was Bull. Her husband jokingly mentioned that she should have changed her name to Tara or even Hora. Someone suggested that Hubby and I name a child "Vaughn" or "Fawn" (try sounding that out with Booth).

Growing up, I was really interested in learning about the history of names and what they mean. I remember looking through name books and picking story characters based on the meaning of the name and how the character was supposed to be like. (I'm sure you remember that Ashley!) We would also spend hours pouring through Ashley's baby name book looking at interesting names and thinking about which ones we liked or which ones we'd name our kids. (My favorite name was, and still is, Taylor for a baby girl.)

Check out this baby name website. I checked it out and it's really fun. Just type in any name and it will show you the popularity of the name from 1880 through the present. It was interesting for me to learn that "Elisabeth" was the most popular during the 1980s.

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger ashley said...

Yes I definitely remember that!! Good times, good times. Cool website. :-) Thanks for sharing. I don't think you should name your daughter Taylor - I wouldn't want her to die should you ever move to Oregon. ;-)

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger ashley said...

So I was thinking... Remember how I used to like to buy Baby Name books, but I didn't want anyone to see me buying it because I was afraid people would think I was pregnant? Heheh :-) My name was most popular in the 1980's, too. I guess our parents were slaves to the name trends...

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Hehe. You're probably right. Cholera is so common out there in Oregon now, if I did have a daughter named Taylor she'd probably die on the trek over. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home