Thursday, January 26, 2006

How much is too much?

Okay, so I found this dress on ebay. It's absolutely gorgeous, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it. Right now the price is $90, and there are 2 hours left on the auction (and that doesn't include the $6 for shipping!) After spending all my Christmas money a couple of weeks ago, I know I can't justify spending the money. But I don't know if I'll ever see one like this again.

Let me explain. It's a vintage dress from the 1940s. It's a beautiful black satin with little dark blue birds on it. The style transcends time. I could wear it now and it would look completely stylish. And not only that, but from the measurements the seller gave, it would fit me like a glove. *Sigh* I should probably just not worry about it, huh?

Edit--So I didn't buy the dress :-(. It's okay, though. The seller seems to be a reputable vintage clothing dealer, and she has tons of other clothes that are really pretty, too. Maybe I'll get something else!

3 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger ashley said...

Wow a dress from the 40's! *happy sigh* it's a tough call... being responsible is no fun :-(

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

You know what's my take on it? When I'm tight on money and I can't decide if I should buy something or not, I tell myself "OK. If I buy the whatever, I'm going to be tight on money for the next 10 days and I'm going to be late paying my phone bill, but one year from now, I am going to remember it? One year from now, am I going to still suffer the repercussions of buying the whatever? The answer is usually "No", so then I buy the whatever.

Of course, I sometimes also tell myself "If I don't buy the whatever, one year from now, I am going to remember the whatever and regret not buying it? If the answer is "No", then I don't buy it. I know that there are always going to be things that I like. So if I don't buy something, I'll find something else I like the next time I go shopping.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger ashley said...

I like Sonia's take on it, but you have to be careful. "If I buy the whatever, I'm going to be tight on money for the next 10 days and I'm going to be late paying my phone bill, but one year from now, I am going to remember it?" I could see myself using that as an excuse every time, which is bad! :-) I don't think it's right to buy something you don't need knowing that you aren't going to pay bills on time (bills first, fun later). That being said, look at your budget and see an area you don't mind cutting back on - like maybe you'll forego meat for a week, or maybe you'll refrain from seeing any movies for a while. Of course consult your hubby - he might not liek the no-meat idea. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home