Sunday, January 29, 2006

Surfside Beach, babies, and a funeral

This weekend has been so crazy! Here's a quick recap:

Hubby and I were invited to a beach house in Surfside Beach, which is about an hour or so south of Galveston. The beach house is owned by the parents of one of Hubby's med school friends, so they invited us and several other med school couples up for the weekend. We were only able to stay Friday night, but we had a blast. We spent the evening eating pizza, playing games, and enjoying margaritas. On Saturday morning, we all hiked 2 miles to a pier and watched dolphins play in the Gulf. It was great to get to know some of the wives better. Everyone can always use more friends!

On Saturday afternoon, Hubby and I returned to Houston and went to Dinner Club. (I think it mentioned this before, but Dinner Club is a once-a-month get together with church friends.) While there, we found out that, not just one couple, but 3 are expecting babies. The girls spent most of the evening chatting about pregnancy and babies and so forth. It was really hard for me--I really want a baby, but the timing is definitely not right. I feel like I'll be left behind--once these girls have their kids, their lives will be consumed by diaper changing and play dates, and I'll still be the 8 to 5 career woman. I won't be able to relate to their lives anymore. I'm so happy for them, but at the same time, I worry that I might lose their friendship.

Well, this weekend we also found out that Hubby's grandfather past away. Hubby was not very close to him, and I had never met him, but it was sad all the same. This morning, Hubby is flying out to Dallas to be with his family and attend the funeral on Monday. I'm staying here for work, since I can't take days off until April 17 (my 6 month mark). I'm actually glad I'm not going, since I don't particular care for funerals. They're just too dreary. And I'm excited about the alone time. I'm going vintage clothes shopping today, and then tonight I'll sit back and watch Extreme Makeove: Home Addition and Grey's Anatomy. I'm excited!

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger ashley said...

I totally understand about the couples getting pregnant. One of my friends just had a baby and that is ALL she talks about... I actually told her that I feel like we don't have anything to talk about anymore - I'm not even married, much less pregnant. I hope I don't lose all my friends when they start having children. I bet we'll be having kids at the same time, though. :-) That would be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home