Sunday, March 19, 2006

Really cool exhibit

Hubby and I headed back over to the Houston Museum of Natural Science to see the Body Worlds exhibit. It was so COOL! The exhibit consists of body's that have been donated to science that were plastinated--which means they underwent a chemical process to convert tissue to plastic. Each body was dissected a certain way in order to see certain things--for example, one is dissected to see superficial muscle, another deep muscle, another to see the skeleton and nerves, etc. Many are done as artwork--three of the bodies were sitting at a table playing poker, one was riding a horse, and another (which was pretty creepy) was pulling out its insides.

With all these plastinated bodies were plastinated organs. You could see a normal hip bone next to one with severe osteoporosis, a healthy liver next to on with cirrhosis, and, of course, a smoker's lung next to a healthy one. If anything convinces me not to smoke, it's seeing the difference between the two lungs. The smoker's lung was swollen and solid black--I can't imagine trying to breathe with those lungs! I'm so glad I never started smoking!

Anyway, the exhibit will be here until September, so if anybody wants to come visit I'll take you!

1 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger ashley said...

Hmm, I'm thinking that exhibit might be better left to biologists and future doctors... It doesn't appeal to me at all! ;-) Glad you liked it though. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home