Saturday, April 22, 2006

A moment to contemplate

I don't usually write about more serious things on this blog, but I just want to get some stuff off my chest. Lately one of my co-workers (not gonna name names) has been trying to get me against some of the other lab people. I really want to be friendly with everyone, but this person seems to be trying to get me on his/her side on certain things and isolating me from other people.

I'm such a people-pleaser that it's really hard for me to say "Stop. I don't want to have to pick sides here," and at the same time this person in the lab is the only one teaching me new lab techniques. I don't want to have this person think I don't sympathize or whatever but I don't want to have to keep pretending I agree. Should I stand my ground and risk losing this person's teaching advice? What do you guys think?

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger ashley said...

Hmm, that's a hard one. :-( I don't know if it's worth it to go against other people for the sake of pleasing one person. For one, it's not very biblical. It seems that maybe this is a time when you need to say "Stop." Of course, I'm like you - it's sooo hard to say that! Perhaps changing the subject or just saying "I'd rather not talk about that" will do the trick. I'm assuming your coworker is talking about other people in a negative way... I'm horrible about that; I tend to fall into negative gossip if someone encourages me. In the end, though, it doesn't help anyone and just hurts you. So even though it may be hard, I don't think it very wise to just try to please the one coworker - even if it means giving up some teaching advice. I'm sorry this is happening. :-(

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hey! Thanks for the advice (and all the comments!) They are very, very helpful. I'll definitely try your suggestions for my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home