Saturday, July 15, 2006

Texas

Also known as the Sauna State.

I've lived in this big ol' state for a little more than a year now, and yet, it doesn't feel like home to me. When I originally decided to write about the places I've visited, I thought I'd have some grand monologue about why the place is so great and why I'm so glad I moved here, but I don't. It's empty here.

I don't want to dwell too much on the idea of home (I'll bring that up when I discuss the Peach State), but home, Texas is not. Everything I know and love are elsewhere--my family, friends, memories, and favorite places to be are on the other side of the Mississipi, somewhere south of the Appalacians. This state is a state of passing, of transition from one place to the next. I'll one day be moving on.

I know in my heart that I shouldn't feel this way. Contentment with how things are going in life is just not something I've mastered yet. I know in my head that I should be using my time here for God's purpose, since He has placed me here for the moment. I feel like a kid--I want to throw a tantrum sometimes and yell at God for letting me come here and be so far away from my "real" life. Then I realize that my life is really here--I just need to get over it. But it's so hard!

4 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger ashley said...

That's how I felt in Indiana!

I hope you're able to find contentment in Texas... but not too much cuz I want you to move back to Atlanta. :-D (I'm selfish, aren't I?)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hehe. Stu and I have talked about what the future might bring. I think he understands how much I miss home, so he will definitely consider Atlanta as a place for his residency. Even though this decision is still far way, pray that it will all work out!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger ashley said...

How many more years does he have till his residency? I'm glad Stu is being sensitive to your desire to return to Atlanta! That's really sweet. :-)

By the way, I noticed you included Amy's Humble Musings on your sidebar. Isn't her blog great? It always makes me smile and think. I'm glad you've discovered it. :-) Let me know if you've come across any other blogs like that!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Beth said...

It's only 3 more years until his residency--I hope I can wait that long!

I've been reading several Christian women's blogs lately, and Amy's Humble Musings is definitely one of my favorites. Once I stumble upon others I enjoy, I plan on putting them on the sidebar as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home