Monday, May 08, 2006

Florida

I've been to many places in Florida, including Panama City, Orlando, and Fort Lauderdale, but my first memories are from visits to Miami to see my Great Grandma Gay. Actually, my first memories of traveling in general were to Florida. (I know that my parents took me to Indiana several times as a baby, but I have no recollection of those trips.) I remember being 4 or 5 years old, with my baby sister Julie only 2 or 3. I really don't remember much--I remember walking on the balcony of her condo, which I swear was on the 99th floor and had no screening (but I should ask my mom to confirm that), eating Bugles off the ends of my fingers, and not much else. I really wish I remember more of my great-grandmother, but I don't.

My Great Grandma Gay was my mom's mother's mom. (Gay was her last name.) In my mind (and from vague descriptions my mom gave me) she was a socialite and a very proper woman. I always picture her like she would have been in the 1950s, with the long skirts and pearls. I believe she was born in 1896, and I have always imagined what her life would have been like. When she was born, she probably would have a horse and buggy to take her around, with gas to heat and light her home instead of electricity. I wonder what it would have been like to read in the paper about the first airplane flight, to live during both world wars, and to see the world change more quickly than it ever had before.

I wish I had known her better. She passed away many years ago, but whenever I think of Miami (and Florida) I think of her and my first trip there.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger ashley said...

My great grandma lived in Florida too! But they had moved her to a nursing home in Atlanta when I knew her.

You should have come to Orlando to visit me!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger ashley said...

Oh something else about my great grandma... she immigrated to America from Britain when she was 12... I think that would have been interesting to hear about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home