Friday, May 12, 2006

Virginia

Some places are just brief snapshots of memories, but somehow the snapshots of Virginia are some of the most memorable. To me, the Blue Ridge mountain region is one of the most beautiful in the country. I was there over spring break one year, visiting the grandparents of a neighborhood friend. I don't think I've ever seen the sky so blue. The house was surrounded by rolling hills covered with crisp green grass. Sparkling blue grape hyacinths were everywhere--my friend and sister and I pressed many of them between the pages of a phone book. Whenever I smell grape hycacinths now, it reminds me of this place. One day we flew a kite on the peak of one of those hills on a crystal clear day with a cool breeze in the air. The picture in my mind is hard to paint on paper, but for me the memory of this place has never faded. It really took my breath away.


(Here is a picture I got from the Internet. It's the closest I could find to capture the snapshot in my head.)

1 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger ashley said...

They say the sense of smell is the strongest memory-invoker. I don't think I know what grape hyacinth smells like, though. That sounds so beautiful... I love going to different places and seeing the beauty there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home